Friday, November 25, 2011

Week 4: Bullying is Wrong and Hurts Everyone

Sorry it has been such a long time since a post... still in my Thanksgiving food coma.  Last week, I spoke to the students about bullying.  During week 3, I was faced with some problematic students, so I needed to address bullying in a subtle way.  Sure enough, Winners Walk Tall has a program about bullying!  


Beginning class, I asked if any students had been bullied and if they could share what happened.  Many were teased, pushed, and shoved.  I found it interesting that the older boys in the class stood up to those who were bullying younger siblings, but they handled the situation in the wrong way.  One boy's little brother was being called names, so he got into a fight with the bullies.  As I have never been in this situation before, I offered my best advice.  I told the children that they shouldn't start a fight, but they need to tell a trusted adult. 


This led into a conversation about who the students can tell if they are bullied.  I got all of the expected answers, such as parents, grandparents, older siblings, and teachers, which I found to be very encouraging.  


We finished the class reviewing material from the previous weeks, and I couldn't believe the students remembered everything!  It shows that my time is truly worth it because these students are learning.  I am working to help them have better, brighter futures.


Winners Walk Tall and stand up against bullying because BULLYING IS WRONG AND HURTS EVERYONE!




I've been actually really very pleased to see how much awareness was raised around bullying, and how deeply it affects everyone. You know, you don't have to be the loser kid in high school to be bullied. Bullying and being picked on comes in so many different forms.  -Lady Gaga





No comments:

Post a Comment