Saturday, July 14, 2012

Week 11: An Attitude of Gratitude

When I came upon this lesson, I wish I would have gone through it with the students during Thanksgiving week, but I believe anytime is a good time to reinforce the importance of gratitude.


As a child, my parents always stressed the importance of saying please and thank you.  It was expected of my sister and I that we used our manners, and I think it has paid off.  We were always required to write thank you notes to relatives and friends who gave us birthday presents, which made for great practice when I needed to write thank you notes to potential employers after interviews.


With his lesson, I wanted to be sure the students knew the importance of writing thank you notes, so I did a demonstration with them.  I gave each student a fun, decorated piece of paper and we did a mock thank you note addressed to their teacher.  It's important for them to be appreciative of their teachers, as they are working extremely hard to help their students.  


We also discussed things they are thankful for and each student took a turn writing their thoughts on the chalkboard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment