Sunday, July 15, 2012

Week 16: Be Good to the Environment - Go Green!

When I was in high school, we always had a theme for the school year.  One year, the theme was "We were green before green was cool."  So I course, I had to talk to my students about being green and eco-friendly. 

This lesson fell right around Earth Day, which was great because the students had already been talking about going green with their science teachers.  I encouraged them to take some time cleaning up their local neighborhoods and making sure they recycle bottles and cans.  There are also places that will take recycled clothes, which was very surprising to some.

Another thing that's really important is cutting up the pop can plastic rings.  As a yearly visitor to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, my family and I have seen horrible pictures of fish and dolphins dying after being trapped in the plastic rings.  As these cannot always be recyled, I told students to be sure to cut them so they could ensure that animals wouldnt get caught. 

No comments:

Post a Comment